Are You looking for a relevant guide on How to Restrict Downloading on a wifi router? So, we’ll provide you with some helpful hints in this article.
As we all know, our wifi routers are wide open to all the devices connected to them. This includes computers, laptops, smartphones, and many other devices. You cannot always trust that no one around you would use your internet connection and download something from illegal sites like torrents, or maybe they would download some virus-laden files which could easily harm your device.
So, how can you restrict downloading on wifi routers? Nowadays, we can see many wifi routers on the market. Many support the hotspot feature, which will automatically broadcast the wireless network.
All wifi routers have an option that lets you prevent people from downloading certain content from the internet. However, as a safety measure, there is a way you can do so, and it’s not obvious how to turn it on. After installing your wifi router and configuring it, you can follow the review below to learn about how to restrict downloading on a wifi router.
What is Access Control?
A router is network equipment that allows you to connect to the internet. Many companies have routers to connect their employees and clients to the internet. These companies use the access control feature to manage who can access the router and what devices connect. Access control is a safety feature that allows you to limit access to your information. It is a security concept that allows an administrator to restrict access to a resource.
In the past, the only way to block devices from connecting to your router was by changing the router settings. Now that there are apps like VPN and Wi-Fi Hotspot Shield, it is possible to block devices from connecting to your Wi-Fi connection. Using the access control feature, you can block your devices from connecting to your router’s Internet connection. This is important if you don’t want specific devices to connect to your network or if you want to prevent specific categories of devices from connecting.
The access control feature allows you to block particular devices from connecting using the router’s wireless connection. You can use the security feature to limit access to specific regions of your network.
You can also read How to protect wifi from neighbors
A step-by-step guide to Restrict Downloading on Wifi Router:
Wifi routers are the small black box your wifi signals are transmitted to and from. You can set up restricting downloading on a wifi router or set up an access control feature bypassing media access control (MAC) address filtering.
With Ease, You Can Follow These Steps To Restrict Downloads on Your Wifi Router.
- Open a web browser on a computer or mobile device linked to your router’s network.
- Go to https://www.routerlogin.net or https://www.routerlogin.com to get started.
- A logging-in popup displays. Enter the router’s username and password. The default password is login, and the user name is admin. The username and password case is essential.
- On display, the BASIC Home page appears.
- From the drop-down list, choose ADVANCED > SECURITY > ACCESS CONTROL.
- Check the box to Allow Access Control.
This check box must be selected before creating an accessibility rule and using the Permit and Block buttons. When this check box is unchecked, all devices can connect, including those on the blocked list.
7. Select one of the buttons below to define an access rule:
- Allow the connection of all new devices.
- All-new gadgets will be unable to connect to the internet by disabling their wifi connections in your router or firewall. This will prohibit them from accessing social media sites by preventing them from connecting to the internet.
The accessibility rule has no impact on previously restricted or approved devices. It only applies to devices that join your network after implementing these changes.
8. To check which devices are authorized or banned while not connected, select one of the choices below.
- Display the list of network-enabled devices that aren’t currently connected.
- View a list of devices that are presently not connected to the network and blocked.
9. To continue using your network, check the box next to the computer or device you’re now using and click the Allow button.
10. Then press the Apply button. All settings have been saved.
So, this is how you block devices from your wifi router and restrict downloading on a wifi router.
The Final Thoughts:
As you can see, setting up a password for your network isn’t a big deal. However, the access control feature can make a big difference in security, as other people won’t have access to your home network unless they know the password. We can enable this option to allow people to access our wifi but not the downloads. After this option is enabled, we can see an outstanding outcome using a wifi router. It will help us to prevent unauthorized downloads of our wifi users.
Finally, you’ll understand how to do it properly. This is a complete, friendly guide, and you can access all the processes related to this. You can use it while surfing with your wifi network. The steps outlined above can be used to limit downloads on your wifi network, ensuring that any devices linked to it remain safe and secure. I hope you found this information helpful.