Did you know that you could connect a landline phone to a Wi-Fi router? A Wi-Fi router is used to transmit information between networks and the devices connected to the internet. And just like your smartphone and laptops, you can connect your landline phone with the Wi-Fi router.
The entire process of connecting a landline phone to a Wi-Fi router is straightforward, and you can get done with it in just a few simple steps. When you connect your landline phone to a Wi-Fi router, the voice signals of a landline phone will go to the Router and be converted into digital signals.
Sounds pretty interesting, right! So, let’s take a look at the steps through which you can connect a landline phone to a Wi-Fi router.Table of ContentsShow
Steps to Connect a Landline Phone to a Wi-Fi Router
Step 1: Switch off the Router
The first step involved in connecting a landline phone Wi-Fi router is switching off your Router. It is an important step, and you don’t have to unlock or remove any wires; you have to power it off.
Step 2: Connect the Ethernet Cable
The second step is to connect the ethernet cable. Nowadays, everybody has an ethernet cable at their home, and most of the landline phones come with an even at the wire, so it becomes highly convenient. You have to connect the ethernet cable with the Router. Look for the proper port where you will connect the Ethernet wire.
Step 3 Connect PC With Router
In the third step, you have to connect your PC with the Router, for which you will require one more ethernet cable. Connect this ethernet cable with the LAN port on the back of the Router, and the second end will be connected to the Ethernet port on the PC.
Step 4: Use Your Phone & Connect it to Router
In the next step, you have to connect the landline phone to the Wi-Fi router. This can again be done with the help of a cable. Every Router comes with a phone adaptor port, so you have to look for that port and connect the cable to it, and the second end will be connected to your landline phone. Most of the phone adaptor ports are marked as Phone 1 or similar to this, so it can be convenient for you to find them.
Step 5: Switch on the Modem & PC
Successfully connect your landline phone to the Wi-Fi router, and for starting the use of this connection, you have to start the modem and the PC first. Once all the lights on the modem are stable, you can power on the Router. Plug the Router into the power outlet and wait for the lights on the Wi-Fi router to get steady.
Step 6: Testing
Now it’s time to test the connection between the landline and the Wi-Fi router. Due to the internet connection now, you can make calls from your landline phone with the help of the voice feature. So, to test this connection, you can try calling anybody you want.
These were the six simple steps that you can use to connect a landline phone to a Wi-Fi router. You must have noticed that in the steps that we have mentioned above, a separate router and modem were involved in the process.
However, several companies have started to provide a device that works as both a router and modem. If you are using such a device, the connectivity process is slightly different from what we have discussed above.
Steps to Connect a Landline Phone to the Wi-Fi Router-Cum-Modem
- The first step in this device is to power it off so that the entire connectivity process can be conducted with extreme safety.
- The second step is to look for a phone port on the back of the device. Since it is working as both a router and modem, every connectivity port available on this device will be at the back only.
- In the third step, all you have to do is take an ethernet cable and connect it to the device and your landline phone.
- The last step is to power the device and wait for the lights to get stable so that you can test by making a phone call. Once you can place the call properly by all the advanced features, you have successfully established the connection between your landline phone and your Wi-Fi router-cum-modem.
Things That You Must Keep in Mind While Connecting a Landline Phone to a Wi-Fi Router
It would be best if you kept in mind certain things so that you can have a proper connection between the landline phone and the Wi-Fi router.
- The first factor is the connection type. You must know that you cannot establish the connection between the landline phone and the Wi-Fi router wirelessly, and you, anyway, have to use the ethernet cable to connect the two devices.
- The second factor is internet speed, which is a significant factor in determining the quality of the phone calls you will get on your landline phone.
- Mainly when you establish a connection with the help of a cable, the quality is outstanding, but you must try to have a Wi-Fi router that gives a speed of at least 400 MBPS so that the network remains strong all the time.
- The last important factor that you must consider before connecting a landline phone to the Wi-Fi router is the speed at which the data can be transferred with the help of the connection. The most advanced rate is 940 MBPS, and there are various Wi-Fi standards on which the transfer of the data happens.
- Wi-Fi has various standards at which the data is transferred at different rates, and the most advanced standard is 802.11n. So if you have a connection that downloads at a higher speed but the Router you are using cannot deliver the highest standard, you might face glitches and distortion in the voice.
Wrapping it Up:
To sum up, everything that has been stated so far in this article, we can say that by following the six simple steps that we have mentioned above, you can connect your landline phone with the Wi-Fi router. If you have an advanced device, we have also mentioned the steps for that.
Before establishing a connection between the landline phone and the Wi-Fi router, you must check a few factors so that you can have an interrupted and substantial connection between your landline and the Wi-Fi router. The process is straightforward and will take just 3 to 5 minutes.